Monday, July 18, 2005

It's official

I'm a geek.

This weekend was spent with the new Harry Potter book (got it at eleven, finished it at three) and the DC Comics Encyclopedia. All I needed was something new from the Matrix series and I would have gotten some kind of Geek Master badge.

And no, I won't tell you anything about the new Harry Potter book, except to say that while it was still a good book, it was the first one I can recall that wasn't better than the one before it. I feel that she fell into a "Star Wars" problem - where Lucas admitted that the 3rd movie (Revenge of the Sith) was the one he had in mind the entire time, but he needed the first two to set up the third. Consequently, the first two weren't that good and the third one was very good. In the Potter realm, I think J. K. Rowling knows how it's going to end, but needed this book to set it all up. And maybe the seventh book in tandem with The Half-Blood Prince will be excellent - but as of now, it's just (just?) pretty good.

No comments: