Friday, July 01, 2005

Because I say so!

I was a stubborn kid - and if you ask my parents they'd have several ancedotes to tell, many with wild gestures, looks of horror, and wonderment at their avoidance of jail time. Guilty.

One of my least favorite things was being told, "Because I said so!" when I questioned something. It smacked of I-know-more-than-you-do-and-I'm-not-gonna-tell-you! This always caused an argument, and usually ended with me being sent to my room sans dinner and with a sore bottom.

So, thankfully for me, I'm not a young kid and I'm not a child of Robin Hayes. He'd need an extra big switch, is all I can say here.

Someone should also mention to him that he's directly contradicting President Bush and the 9/11 Commission.

There's a deeper issue here that I see, though. In the face of all evidence, Rep. Hayes states positively that Saddam was involved in 9/11. When told, quite gently in my opinion, that there's no evidence of that (I would have used the words "idiot", "fantasy", "lie" and "delusional" myself) he responds in true know-it-all fashion that "I'm sorry, but you must have looked in the wrong places." Of course, the next obvious thing would be for him to mention where the RIGHT places are, but why ruin a good delusion with facts? But why would someone go against facts to indulge a personal belief?

Because when facts go against the truth, the facts are discarded. This is the mark of a true slave to party (not ideology per se, and not in this case), and a dangerous one. If you don't balk at swallowing THIS camel, how many other ones will you digest? And how many people are at the buffet line with him? (here's a hint - look at Chris Mooney's web site) And finally - how can you trust people like this?

No comments: