Thursday, October 06, 2005

Wow

Okay, I think this sums up a lot of my worry about Bush: (from the DefCon blog)

"President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, "George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan." And I did, and then God would tell me, "George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq Â…" And I did. And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, "Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East." And by God I'm gonna do it.'"

I THINK that his saying "God would tell me" is simply his way of saying he felt this was right, not a literal "God spoke to me" mental asylum and special burlap tuxedo claim. So I won't go there.

However, this one statement pretty much wraps up a lot of Bush's actions in one ill-tied package. He THINKS something is right, and acts on it without planning for it. He felt the need to free Iraq, and acted on bad information and bad planning, leading to the deepening morass we're in now. (Unless anyone wants to argue that Bush's post-war plans were good?) He felt like SocialSecurityy should be changed and tried to enact policies that would have worsened our debt and notrelievedd anything. He felt like taxes needed to be cut and now the debt and deficit are immense. He acts like his belief that something is good is enough to see it through.

Feeling something is right is wonderful and good, and it may BE a sign thatsomeonee (whoever he may be) is reaching down and touching you to start your actions. But guess what? When he's giving you that nudge, he expects you to do the job right. Good intentions, road to Hell, ring a bell?



No comments: